Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Chapter 10

Paragraph 1: Technology Based Rubrics
I think these rubrics are very useful for the elementary and middle school level classrooms. Kids love using computers and the internet has made teaching children that much easier to do. I do not know if I will use the technology rubrics I have seen thus far to outline my assignments. I will have to see what I am teaching and how the students are learning before I say I will definitely use it or not. I may design my own if the students need an extensive outline of what they need to do. I do believe it is safe to say that I will outline my own rubrics based on the designs I've seen.
Paragraph 2: Clicker Assessment Tools
I will definitely use the clicker assessment tool as a reward for my students when they have shown effort in the classroom. It is a technology that, if not carefully managed, could be a distraction and create problems among the students. I wish I had this technology when I went to school, that would have been awesome. If I could find a game where I could program questions and answers from my lesson plans into that the students really took interest in, that would be great for review or to kill time at the end of the year when the lessons have been completed by the students. I know they will have worked hard for the school year and I may use it solely as a reward for good behavior/strong work effort. The clicker assessment tools was by far the best I had seen for this chapter study.
Paragraph 3: Inspiration/Kidspiration Software
Kidspiration software is a great tool for learning the basics, but I will not be using it because it is too elementary for the grade I intend to teach. Most high-schoolers would agree, I'm sure, that the format and depth of information presentation that kidspiration is capable of providing is not at the level they need. The clicker assessment tools may be more to their liking, but I was always a little embarrassed in school when a teacher made me participate in something I felt third graders should be doing. I wanted to be treated seriously in my studies and didn't like it when I wasn't. I intend to carry the same environment in my classroom I expected going through school; a more serious, directed, and disciplined environment because the curriculum I teach (English Literature) requires my students to be a little more serious then kidspiration.

References:
Crismond, D., Howland, J., Jonassens, D., Marra, R. M. (2008).  Meaningful
learning with technology. Columbus: Pearson, Merrill Prentice Hall.

3 comments:

  1. When we used clickers at SFA, the teacher had questions on the powerpoint. The clickers just had letters on it that you could select to anser the questions. I don't see clickers as being a distraction. I thought they were very useful in my classroom and we used them a couple of times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to creating and using rubrics when I begin teaching. It's comforting to know exactly what is needed and required for an assignment, rather than trying to read the teacher's mind. I don't remember any of my teachers in high school providing rubrics, but I plan to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nathan,

    While I agree with you, Kidspiration is a tool for younger students, Inspiration and Webspiration Classroom are great for high schoolers and adults.

    I encourage you to try Webspiration Classroom service out on your high school students. You may find that they love the collaborative features including sharing, co-creating, co-editing, chatting and commenting on documents. It's a great tool to bring your classroom and students into the 21st century.

    You can sign up for a free 30-day trial at http://www.inspiration.com/Freetrial.

    If you have any questions or comments, please email me at connect(at)inspiration.com. You may also find me on our blog, Facebook or Twitter.

    Thanks for mentioning us! Let me know what you think of Webspiration Classroom.

    Sarah Cargill, Inspiration Software
    inspiration.com/blog
    facebook.com/InspirationSoftware
    twitter.com/InspirationSW

    ReplyDelete